today was a family "holiday" of sorts - our "Freaky Feastings" day. check it out on Campbellstown if you're a member! one of the yummiest things we tried were these babies:
it's a recipe adapted from a couple other ones to fit our supplies (what's in the fridge) and our demands (what we like). another emily made a healthier version of these here, but if you're like me, you're not eatin' mac n cheese for your health! my unhealthy recipe, which the crew approved, goes thusly...
Mac n Cheese Muffins
4 c cooked macaroni
1 T butter
1 T flour
1 c milk
6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup bacon bits
½ cup frozen sweet corn or peas
1 egg white
Garlic salt & pepper to taste
Extra shredded cheddar for topping (optional)
Diced chives for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Grease your 12-cup muffin, set aside.
- In a sauce pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until it thickens. Add the milk and turn up the heat, but don’t let it boil. Add the cheese and mix until melted into sauce.
- Remove the cheese sauce from heat and whisk in the egg and egg white (which hold everything together).
- In a big bowl, mix the pasta, cheese sauce, bacon, corn, salt and pepper together.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Top with extra cheese and diced chives, if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops brown a bit. Let cool 5 minutes before popping them out of the muffin pan, otherwise they’ll fall apart.
Yields 12 muffins